Saturday, April 29, 2006

Today is a better day...

I decided that it was time to teach the baby how to fall asleep on her own so that everyone else in the house could finally get some sleep, too!!! She is 9 months old, and has never slept through the night!

It's been a difficult journey so far, but I am starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel. We started Thursday night. It took her 49 minutes to fall asleep in her crib, and my dh decided he needed to stay in her room with her for the second half of this process. She cried hysterically, made herself sick, and every time I checked on her, the crying got worse. After she finally went to sleep, she stayed asleep until 3:45. Of course, my dh had to rescue her. UGH!!! So it was like starting all over again to get her to sleep!!! It took another hour for her to fall asleep again. I put her back in her crib and patted her to sleep. She woke up again at 6ish.

Took her for her 9 month checkup Friday. The nurse practitioner told me to put her down, and don't go back in the room unless I know she is in serious distress. So, that's what we did. It took her an hour and 10 minutes to fall asleep, but that was on her own. She woke up at 4ish, but put herself back to sleep without too much difficulty.

This morning, I put her down for a nap when she began to rub her eyes and yawn.... she was asleep in 15 minutes, again without much difficulty.

And in addition, she didn't nurse in the middle of the night for 2 nights in a row!!! I hope this means the end of middle of the night feedings!!!

We have been especially blessed to have my older dd staying with my in-laws for the entire weekend so we could do this "training." She comes home during the day, and I took her out for lunch and flower shopping just the 2 of us yesterday... I want her to know that she's still special, you know?

I hope now I can get more than 3 hours of sleep on a routine basis!!!

No comments: