Sunday, September 10, 2006

In rememberance...


I am posting this in honor of those who perished one year ago tomorrow. I am posting this for all of us who still mourn that time where we lost our "innocence" as a nation..... for those who lost loved ones... for those who feared they had lost someone.... for everyone who has to explain to their children where they were on that horrible day.

I'm sorry to be so sullen with my blog these days, but 9/11 weighs heavily on my mind this time of year.

I actually completed this layout last year. I had to edit so much of what I wanted to say to get it all to fit on the page. I could have hidden the journaling, but I wanted to force the viewer to see what I had to say.

The photos were taken of Ground Zero on a trip to NYC that I made with my dh in October 2003.

Journaling reads:
Where were you on the morning of 9/11? One day, my girls will ask me that question. Where was I? I was at the hospital where I practiced PT. I remember that morning--one of those beautiful, crisp, late summer days that remind you that fall is near. I walked onto the rehab unit and took note of how pretty the sun's rays looked as they flooded the hall with light. And I remember thinking that something was going to happen that day that would change me for the rest of my life. I had only been at work for about 20 minutes when I heard about the first plane hitting one of the twin towers of the WTC in NYC. A few of us found a TV and watched the news coverage, including live pictures of the second jet hitting the other tower. Absolutely horrifying! As we all know, the news became progressively worse. I frantically called family members to make sure everyone was OK, including my father who worked on an army base and my husband who worked in one of the tallest buildings in Richmond. We prepared for survivors at the hospital that never came. The events of that day turned my world upside down. I was 5 months pregnant with my first daughter, and it was the week of my 27th birthday. I found little joy in celebrating either. When we visited NYC in October of 2003, I knew that Ground Zero was a place I had to see for myself. Then it was real. There is an ability to remain detached from it all until you see it with your own eyes... the vacancy in the skyline, the makeshift memorials that aren't supposed to be there anymore, the miracle of a cross found in the debris of the WTC, and the collective solemn reverence of all the visitors to that place where so many perished.

3 comments:

Nancywithajones said...

I LOVE this layout it so inspired me to do one... SO i put a challenge up on my blog as well to see the 9 /11 pages... what a beautiful tribute you ahve done anne. YOU SO ROCK !

Elizabeth said...

I've never brought myself to scrap a layout about this time period. I think it would help with the emotions. Thanks for posting this.

Kim -today's creative blog said...

Nice layout. I have yet to do mine. I like how you spelled the 9/11. A different perspective.